Firecracker shrimp, inspired by Asian flavor, is an quick and easy treat for all occasions. It might look sophisticated to make but today Hanoli will recommend a simple recipe for you. Let’s give it a try and enjoy the dish with your family.
Without any further ado, let’s jump in this tasty recipe.
Firstly, you will need some ingredients. You can buy it with ease at supermarket, grocery stores and local markets.
- Hanoli cooking oil (made from Greek extra virgin olive oil and sunflower oil), for frying purpose
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 1 dash fish sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 pounds (26 to 30 count) white shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- Sesame seeds, garnish
- Scallions, sliced on a bias, garnish
- 1 red Thai chile pepper, sliced, garnish
- Torn fresh cilantro, garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns, ground, optional
- Rice and steamed vegetables, for serving, optional
After preparing all the ingredients, you are ready to make this delicious dish. All you need to do is just follow our quick and simple recipe.
Step by step instruction of the Firecracker shrimp
Gather the ingredients that you have prepared.
Add Hanoli cooking oil to a countertop deep fryer or a large, heavy-bottomed pot so that there is 3-inches worth of oil. Preheat to 360 F (about 182 Celsius).
Combine the honey, sriracha, ginger, fish sauce, and lemon juice in a large, wide mixing bowl.
Put the shrimp and potato starch into a gallon zip-close freezer bag and seal. Gently shake and turn the bag to thoroughly coat the shrimp in the potato starch.
In two batches (most likely, depending on the size of your setup), fry the shrimp until they turn pink, and the starch coating becomes crisp and golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Remove the shrimp and shake off the excess oil.
Toss the hot, fried shrimp in the sauce. Garnish with the sesame seeds, sliced scallions, chile pepper, cilantro, and a sprinkle of the Szechuan pepper, if using.
Serve with rice and perhaps a steamed vegetable. Now it’s time to enjoy your outcome!
Some tips you might need
When buying shrimp, there are a few things to know:
- The “count” is really about size. The smaller the number, the larger the shrimp. For example, 26 to 30 count means that one pound contains between 26 and 30 shrimp. It’s a good bite-size shrimp for this recipe.
- With that many shrimp per pound, buying them peeled and deveined will save a lot of time and effort.
- Frozen shrimp is a great option since most fresh shrimp has previously been frozen anyway. Defrost the shrimp per the package instructions before using.
– Add 1: No. 5, Alley 24, Lane 173, Hoàng Hoa Thám Street, Ba Đình District, Hà Nội
– Add 2: No. 2 Xuân Diệu Street, Quảng An Ward, Tây Hồ District, Hà Nội
– Add 3: No. 42 Giang Văn Minh Street, Ba Đình District, Hà Nội
– HCM city: No. 165 Nguyễn Công Trứ Street, Nguyễn Thái Bình Ward, Quận 1 District, Ho Chi Minh City
Hotline: 0936151116 – 0936487828